Wednesday 17 July 2013

Reunion (4) 05/13/13

Her face pressed up close to the window separating me from her as I sat down on a seat at the back of the bus. She waved goodbye, a tear glimmering as the sun bounced back in the reflection of her iris. Our eyes locked. Was she really leaving?  

It was so perfect... our gazes recognized each other's as we shared this thought.

Just as the bus began to roll away, she tore herself from the window; swishing tendrils of fire through my heart as she tossed her crimson hair back. She dashed to the front of the bus and flagged down the driver, who slowed down and let her on.

Gallivanting to the back of the bus, she threw her arms in the air and dove into mine (despite the driver's protests about not running on a moving vehicle.)

Our lips locked for a moment as those stupid butterflies burst into flight in our bellies; her hand shooting sparks of excitement into each of our souls. She was doing it! She was coming with me!

We were together!

Finally...

At last...

At last....

At last I opened my eyes to the rude sunrays that penetrated my privacy. Fuck. That had been a dream? I tossed and turned for a bit, trying to return to the embrace of her beauty, but it didn't work, so I spent a second remembering where I was.

I was at Karla's house! Awesome! 

I jumped out of bed with a surge of excitement, eager to start the day. The group was back in action.

The year prior, right before Fernweh and I had decided to begin our first cross country trip, we'd ran into Karla at a drop-in center for bums, lazy teens, and people who were genuinely in need.

We'd struck up a quick friendship, and before long, we were planning to accept her into our group.

Skeptical at first (we'd only known her for a couple hours. How could we expect her to drop everything and come traveling?), our doubts gave way into excitement as Karla kept her word and joined us in our excellent expedition.

This year, she'd settled down and gotten a place, and had been nice enough to let us stay there the night before. She was a kind, rational and understanding soul - and, to emphasize this point, I found her working on a breakfast of bacon and eggs to share with us.

Calgary was seeming like a brighter place every day, and this day was starting out to look pretty damn good.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment