Tuesday 23 July 2013

Progress: 05/14/13

It only took an hour to get picked up this morning, but the ride turned out to be pretty useless. I was dumped in the middle of nowhere, an hour outside of Calgary.

There were no stores, no access to food or water (though fortunately I had both) if I ended up getting stuck here for days.

This spot looked pretty damn similar to the spot that me and friend had gotten stuck at for two days the year before. Great.

It was time for some cosmic manipulation.

I used my devious mind to suck the sympathy out of all the douche bags whipping by who weren't picking me up. I flipped over my sign (REGINA!) and wrote WATER? on the back.

Holding that sign high, I began to wonder... did the people passing by honestly have no water? Or did they just not give a shit about a potentially dehydrated man standing alone hours away from civilization? Whatever, fuck 'em.

Regardless, someone pulled over pretty quickly - a black dude from Kenya, who worked for CP Rail of all places. He didn't have any water, but he'd felt so bad that he pulled a U-turn a click down the road to come back and grab me.

The ride passed through stories of train hopping and railway safety and secrets; two opposite ends of the Railway spectrum. I was the criminal, he was the worker.

He dropped me off an hour down the road and left me with 20 bucks, an uplifted mood, and a new hope. These had been the first proper conversations I'd had in weeks. There was still a chance for my brain to restore itself.

Hopefully, the next ride would be from an astrophysicist - or a psychologist - and then I'd have some truly mind-bending conversations.

Alright, brain. We're getting back on track.

No comments:

Post a Comment