Saturday 15 June 2013

Icicles

I awoke chilled - not just to the bone, but frozen as well. My mind swam back towards the embracing warmth of my old bed at my mom's place. Was it possible to digress so quickly into homesickness? Impossible! Regardless, as i heard Scrib rustling around beside me, I felt nothing stronger than the desire to wrap my sleeping bag around me so tightly I suffocated in its warmth.

I wallowed in self pity for a while before Scrib got tired of waiting for me to stop being a pussy, and told me he was leaving. Not wanting to lose his company, I ripped the sleeping bag from my body like the Hulk tearing his shirt from his body. The moment the sun hit my body, I was engrossed with a wave of vitamin d that tore my depression away like a tsunami roaring over the shore of my sadness.

I remembered my purpose. Our purpose. Even though we hadn't money to share, we had love, we had music, we had laughter. We were here to share these with the world - and it was worth it, even if we had to wake up shivering on concrete. Hopefully the world would reciprocate the feeling.


That being said, I was still chilled to the bone. A night of shivering can leave you shaking for hours. Having your internal organs turned into icicles is never fun; shivering within the bright of day makes one feel a bit foolish.

We pressed on. Vancouver had been fun for a night, but we had friends to find. We hit the SkyTrain and decided for the first time in either of our lives that we`d pay for our tickets. Weird. It turns out we didn`t need them though, because security was slacking and the guards didn`t even offer us a second glance - despite the fact that our huge bags and instruments took up 5 seats and would usually arouse suspicion.

Regardless, we made it to King George station - exactly where we didn`t need to be. To catch our bus, we had to reroute back on to the SkyTrain and take it back to Surrey Central, where we jumped on the bus for an hour before it dropped us off at another bus which we rode for another hour before we were finally in Abbotsford.

Damn. The highway looked mighty enticing today. It was finally time to stick out our thumbs!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment